Sunday, August 2, 2009

93 days of gratitude on the wall...

today i am grateful
for proverbs
little mantras guide me through the day

one man's trash is
another man's treasure

i take what is old
and make it new

shirts dresses ribbons
personal myths

though today brings
so much trouble finding the treasure



my stomach in knots
these trembling hands
9:35 and a whole day to survive

my stomach roils
while painful castigation
dances in my head

any story sounds true
until someone tells the other side
and sets the record straight

tremors move to my chest
i focus on the fabric
the fabric
keep the scissors on the fabric


grateful
there must be something here
for which i am grateful

loneliness
whispers

ghetto sounds
i hear young mothers next door
screaming at their babies
again

there
but for the grace of god
go i

if one is unable
by circumstance
chemistry
or resource

to step back, calm the voice
stay their hand
make it to the next moment
without doing harm

ill equipped
over the din
not hearing the limbic
begging for

right breath right livelihood right action

are they not still a mighty work
a precious jewel
a treasure?

blessed
are the poor in spirit

over and over
in my mind

while my hands cut
stitch
one man's trash

someone shops for the spanking new
superstores
aisles and aisles
made in china

yet

i cannot judge my relation
until
i walk two moons in his moccasins

suffering cosmic arrows
sometimes having the courage
to pick ourselves up
dust ourselves off

sometimes not

even those most revered for their faith
compassion
power
in fearful moments shake a fist at the
clear blue expanse

my god
why
have you forsaken me?

the conjoined twins of
fear and anger
distract so efficiently
turning attention from blessings

intention
must move toward
taking out the trash
releasing
unveiling treasure

reminding

we can know only as much divinity
as exists within us




today i am grateful
for proverbs
little mantras
guiding me through the day

5 comments:

  1. ghetto sounds
    i hear young mothers next door
    screaming at their babies
    again

    there
    but for the grace of god
    go i"

    yes! yes. i have been there. thought/felt the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What has allowed us to be mindful when so many cannot be? Adrienne- I love what you do, what you say, how you are. I am grateful for your constant mindfulness on this planet and that I know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful ladies...

    double happiness to receive confirmation from two exquisite minds and hearts this morning.

    i wish i knew what makes one person mindful and another not; if i did, i would bottle it up and trade it for a vial of 'thick-skinned snake oil', and we'd be good-to-go, wouldn't we my fellow travelers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a beautiful piece, thankyou so much for sharing it.
    'i take what is old
    and make it new
    shirts dresses ribbons
    personal myths
    though today brings
    so much trouble finding the treasure'
    Such wonderful lines, such a creative soul. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that smarties design fabric ...

    you ARE American..? was that New York I saw in the background there?

    do you have Smarties out there?

    they're like M&Ms but far tastier

    ReplyDelete